Thursday, April 24, 2008

A little more about Paradise

Did you know the word "Paradise" only appears in the Bible three times? The first is in the post below, when Jesus says to the thief on the cross, "Today you will be with Me in Paradise." (Luke 23:39-43)

The second is when the apostle Paul says this about himself to the church in the city of Corinth, Greece:

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago--whether in the body, I do not know, or out of the body, I do not know, God knows--such a man was caught up to the third heaven.

And I know how such a man--whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows--was caught up into Paradise, and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.
(2 Corinthians 12:2-4)

Some think this happened to Paul when he was stoned by the crowd at Lystra (Acts 14:19).

And then the last appearance is in the book of Revelation. "One like a son of man" (Jesus) is telling the apostle John what to tell the church in the city of Ephesus. Among other things, He says:

"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of God." (Revelation 2: 7)

OK, here's my question. If:

1) the tree of life is in Paradise, and

2) Revelation 22 says the tree is in the walled city of New Jerusalem (Rev. 22:2, 21:12-13), and

3) "Paradise" means an enclosed garden, or park...

...does that mean the New Jerusalem, which is really huge (Rev. 21:16), is a gigantic, walled garden-city?

Sounds good to me.

No comments: